Our twist on this Carne Asada recipe was inspired by this Primally Inspired Carne Asada recipe and this Mexican Food Journal Grilled Tomato Salsa recipe. Thank you for fueling us and our foodie fashion.
This Week’s Eats
We typically try to plan out our meals each week, and we spend the weekend grabbing the supplies we need. On Sundays, we prep as much as we can for the coming week (i.e. chopping vegetables, marinating meats, etc.). That way, it’s easy for one of us to take over dinner each night. We both take turns cooking, depending on our schedules. Joey does all of the grilling, and Melissa does most of the oven and stove-top meals.
Last Sunday, we prepped this incredible salsa recipe, because two of our weekly recipes called for salsa, including our Carne Asada recipe. Plus, we had been dying to make salsa on our Big Green Egg!
Grilled Tomato Salsa (Paleo, Whole30)
This recipe makes about two cups of salsa. Here is our take on Grilled Tomato Salsa:
- 5 medium plum tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 large Poblano
- 1 jalapeño
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 2 tsp Volcano Spice Gourmet Seasonings’ Hawaiian Style Chili Salt
- Salt, pepper, lime juice, and cilantro to taste
*Side note: I know our picture has two jalapenos, but we’re babies, and could only handle the heat of one blended in.*
- Peel and cut the onion in half, and season cut sides with Volcano Spice Gourmet Seasonings’ Hawaiian Style Chili Salt.
- Place all vegetables on Big Green Egg at 300 degrees indirect. (We smoked everything over apple wood chunks.)
- Watch vegetables until skins begin to char. This should take pproximately 45 minutes to an hour.
- Remove from grill and let vegetables cool down.
- Remove garlic cloves from bulb, some seeds from jalapeño, and skin vegetables the best you can.
- Place everything in the blender and mix for 15 seconds. (We wanted to make sure we had a chunkier salsa.)
- Add salt, pepper, lime juice, and cilantro to your liking.
- Serve warm or cold – and enjoy!
Avocado Grilled Tomato Salsa (Paleo, Whole30)
The Carne Asada recipe called for a Tomatillo Avocado Salsa, but since we knew we were already prepping salsa, we just bought avocados to incorporate our twist on the recipe.
For our twist, take 3/4 cups of the finished Grilled Tomato Salsa and blend 1 1/2 small avocados. Garnish with extra cilantro on hand. Even after finishing our Carne Asada, we had to grab chips to enjoy more of this salsa! It’s delicious, nutritious, and very refreshing!
Carne Asada (Paleo)
This recipe makes 3-4 servings. Here is our take on Carne Asada:
- 2-3 lb flank steak, 1 inch thick
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Wassi’s Classic Steak Rub
- 1/2 tablespoon Lane’s BBQ Kapalua Rub
- Season flank steak with Wassi’s Classic Steak Rub, and dust with Lane’s BBQ Kapalua Rub about an hour before firing up the grill.
- Place seasoned steak on Big Green Egg at 400 degrees direct for 2.5 minutes per side.
- Remove from grill and let rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Cut the steak into 1/2 inch slices against the grain.
- Serve with the Avocado Grilled Tomato Salsa and enjoy!
Final Product Photo:
The original recipe encourages you to serve with extra cilantro and lime wedges, but we’re just not that fancy – hah!